tisdag 14 april 2015

Fermented cabbage

I bought this pot some weeks ago because I want to make my own sauerkraut. It is healthy and I like the taste. I have made this process twice before, just using a glass jar. One time successfully, and one time it moulded ( It´s a shame I did not catch that one in a photo for you) . There are different descriptions and I try again.

This is the smallest pot I found ( on @lantis). In the Melitta, some natural sour milk has filtered. On the sides remain cheese, and in the jar buttermilk to be used because the juice of the cabbage will not be enough to cover the  grated cabbage. ( Covered, how many centimeters?)
These stones shall press the grated cabbage to keep them under the fluid, and they are really one of the reasons why I bought the pot. I cooked them so they are clean.
Grate and put some salt over,  not much but so it tastes good.
Press and squeeze which is easy because the salt helps breaking the firmness of the cabbage. 
Add spices which prevent rancidness ( not necessary but spices taste good also). Here garlic and juniper berries. Put cabbage in pot, covered ( first with a big cabbage leaf, which I forgot) with the stones and the broth.  Put lid on, and pour some water on the lid to prevent oxygen from circulating. The waterlocklid was another reason to buy this special gearing pot.  Keep on warm place during the first days of fermentation ( I have it beside the stove) ( one week? three days?). After that on a cooler place for three ? weeks.This is how my pot looks inside.
I googled a recipe which is more clarifying, and where you don´t have to use a ceramic pot. Look here! Let me know your success stories.








Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar